2016 INDONESIAN ARTS AND CULTURE SCHOLARSHIP
The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship (IACS) has been conducted since 2003 and was initially offered to and participated by member countries of the South West Pacific Dialogue (SwPD); Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Timor-Leste, and the host Indonesia.
Bearing in mind the significance and advantages obtained from the program, the scholarship was expanded over the years to include member countries of ASEAN, ASEAN+3, PIF countries, as well as many countries from all regions in the world. In the period of 2003 to 2015, the scholarship has been awarded to 658 alumni from 60 countries.
Due to the limited space and the vast amount of interest in the program, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia in cooperation with Indonesian Embassies and Consulates overseas, hold a series of selection process. Taken into considerations are, among others, the awardees’ background, gender, regional representation and the interest to learn Indonesian culture.
In order to deepen the awardees’ understanding of Indonesia, and to enhance their appreciation to Indonesian art and culture, the 12 (twelve) awardees will learns about the new Indonesia in the learning centre in one of universities in Yogyakarta for the duration of approximately 3 (three) months.
Awardees will live within or around the learning centre/university, allowing for the chance to experience the local heritage and interact with the local community. Synergy between theory and practices shared inside and outside the learning centrewould undoubtedly become the driving force for shaping international cultures and norms, and will eventually strengthen regional as well as global understanding and cooperation at a people-to-people level.
The theme of the program is “Thousand Island made in Heaven”. The program will provide them knowledge about Indonesia especially politics, economics, social culture, democracy, and local wisdoms as well as Bahasa Indonesia. The awardees are also going to learn one basic traditional dance that will be performed in the closing ceremony of the program, “the Indonesian Channel”.
Awardees of the 2016 Special IACS will be targeted for young generation Asia Pacific Region as well as from countries that are having close cooperation with ASEAN.
The non-degree arts and culture scholarship is offered for three months period of time, starting on 8 May to 21 August 2016.
After 1 (one) week of orientation/introduction of the program, awardees will start the program in one of universities in Yogyakarta.
F. LIST OF COURSES
Basically, all awardees will learn about Indonesia in term of politic, economic and socio-culture with the main issues of Indonesia’s role in the region.
The learning center will also arrange special visit to several government and non-government institutionsas well as renowned tourist destinations for awardees.
Prior to their residency at the learning center, awardees should participate in one week orientation in Jakarta and will learn issues such as the Aim and Objectives of the Scholarship; Introduction to Indonesian Culture; Information about the activities and curriculum offered by the learning center.
All awardees will perform in an arts and cultural night titled “Indonesia Channel” to remark the closing of the scholarship program. The “Indonesia Channel” is scheduled to be held on 19 August 2016. Awardees will return to their respective countries on the following days.
G. SCHOLARSHIP COVERAGE
The scholarship will cover:
• Tuition fee (including extra-curricular activities);
• A round trip economy class ticket;
• Accommodation (board and lodging);
• Health insurance (limited). All awardees are advised to have their own health insurance.
• Monthly allowance of Rp. 1.500.000,-.
H. APPLICATION SUBMISSION
The application form must be sent to The Embassy/Consulate General of Indonesia in respective countries on 20 January 2016 at the latest.
I. TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Candidates should be a single, between the ages of 21 to 30 years-old with at least a high school diploma;
2. Candidates should possess high interest in Indonesian or Asian Studies. Students or those with an academic history on Indonesian studies are encouraged to apply;
3. Bearing in mind the intensity of the program, candidates are highly advised to ensure prime physical conditions, particularly for female candidates to ensure that they do not conceive prior and during the program;
4. Candidates must complete the application form (attached) and submit it along with the followings:
1) A motivation letter;
2) 3 (three) passport-sized photographs;
3) A photo-copy of passport with validity period at least two years;
4) A photo-copy of academic diploma;
5) A photo-copy of the latest valid health certification from a qualified medical practitioner. On the day of leaving the origin country, participants should equipped themselves with a valid health certification from a qualified medical practitioner;
6) A letter of recommendation;
7) A personal signed statement declaring the following:
a. the willingness to be subject to Indonesian laws and regulations during his/her stay in Indonesia;
b. the willingness to follow all the rules and regulations set up by the organizing committee and learning center;
c. the willingness to accept the facilities provided by the organizing committee and learning center and stay at the designated accommodations;
d. not to work or be employed for financial benefits during the program;
e. the willingness to follow the travel arrangements arranged by the organizing committee;
f. the willingness to participate in all the program arranged by the organising committee and learning center, unless, during the program, declared unfit by a qualified medical practitioner;
g. The willingness to leave Indonesia after the closing ceremony, at a date determined by the organizing committee.
h. The willingness to pay penalty and to finance my own travel expenses, should I withdraw my participation during the course of the program.
5. The programme will include Indonesian language lessons. A minimum skill in Bahasa Indonesia will be an advantage for candidates, but is not a main criterion for the programme, meanwhile basic skill in English is compulsory.
J. CONTACT DETAILS
For further information, please send email to:
Please refer to the link below for application forms and example of personal statement.